Rev. M. Times, pastor of St. Augustine's Parish in Depew, New York, suggested to Rev. John Glazik, assistant at St. John Kanty Parish in Buffalo, to contact families residing within the boundaries of the projected parish. With permission of Bishop Turner, the first mass was celebrated by Rev. John Glazik on May 1, 1925, at the old Blossom Hook and Ladder Hall. 36 enrolled families attended, which was approximately 100 members. Each family pledged $200 to get the parish in operation, which was a requisite of the Bishop at the time. The parish was incorporated under the title of St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Virgin on September 25, 1925 with John Mary and John Rozeski as its first trustees.
Rev. John Zenczak was appointed the first pastor on November 1, 1925 by Bishop Turner. 12.5 acres of land was purchased by the Gebhard family on Clinton Street - six miles from the Buffalo city line and about 1/4 of a mile east of Transit Road in the Village of Blossom.
Construciton of the Church and Rectory began by the families of St. Gabriel's, and the labor was supplied for the excavation and construction of the church basement by local families. The church was a prefabricated frame structure, pieced together so that services were held in November 1925 and the rectory was completed thereafter. The Holy Name Society was organized in 1926.
The anniversary for the canonical erection of St. Gabriel's was held on June 20, 1926.
In 2025, St. Gabriel's will celebrate its centennial! Please stay tuned as more is added to the history of the church and look for celebrations for this historic event in the year 2025.